Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of Carlson Rezidor's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years.
In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB).
Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering the three following pillars:
- Taking care of the health and safety of guests and employees
- Respecting social and ethical issues in the company and the communities in which we operate
- Minimising our environmental footprint
With operations in 70 countries, keeping hotel guests and staff safe in sometimes risky local situations is an essential part of our business. We "always care!" by involving every employee at every level of the company in maintaining a safe and secure environment for everybody.
Responsible Business also incorporates caring for the health of guests and employees. We do so by offering our guests environmentally friendly amenities, increasing the number of non-smoking rooms and promoting the use of seasonal and local produce in our restaurants. We believe in promoting our staff from within and are committed to encouraging each employee to reach their full potential.
Tourism developments have a significant impact on local communities and environments. Our hotels have a duty and interest to encourage the protection of the local environment and respect the local community in order to pursue the original goal of tourism: to enhance the natural and historical attractions and to promote cultural practices. We are very proud that our pledge to build our company on a solid ethical foundation has been acknowledged by the Ethisphere Institute. In 2013, for the fourth consecutive year, Carlson Rezidor was recognised by Ethisphere as one of the world’s most ethical companies. Taking responsibility is at the core of how Carlson Rezidor operates.
Think Planet is designed to help us reduce energy consumption by 25% by the end of 2016. It was launched as a company-wide project for all of our hotels during Carlson Rezidor’s Annual Business Conference in London at the end of January 2012. Carlson Rezidor hotels also have operational procedures in place to reduce the consumption of water and the generation of waste in our business every day. Investments in environmentally friendly technologies are made to maximise savings. Employee awareness is raised through dedicated training and communication campaigns. Think Planet is both good for our business and good for our planet!
This Rostock lodging is also engaged with both local charity groups and Carlson Rezidor's corporate international charity organisation, the World Childhood Foundation, whose mission is to defend the rights of children and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
Responsible activities and achievements:
- Awarded the Green Key international eco-label
- Blood donation day in cooperation with German Red Cross
- Effective waste recycling systems for glass, paper, metal, plastic, organic waste and batteries
- GoldPoints members and meeting planners can exchange Gold Points® to offset their CO2 footprint
- Healthy food options in our restaurant and for meeting and events
- Installation of time-controlled air conditioning and ventilation plants
- Non-smoking work environment
- Sale of seasonal dishes for a good cause
- Support of Operation Christmas Child by Samaritan’s Purse (the hotel donated over 600 Christmas parcels for children in need)
- Use of low-energy lightbulbs and halogen bulbs IRO or ECO throughout the hotel
- Use of motion detectors throughout the hotel
- Use of unbleached toilet paper only